Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I wish I had a river I could skate away on...

You know the Joni Mitchell song, River? 

“It’s coming on Christmas, 
they’re cutting down trees,
they’re putting up reindeer and singing songs of joy and peace
Oh, I wish i had a river i could skate away on...”

My itunes randomly chose it this morning on shuffle. 
It’s such a sad song. You don’t hear many sad Christmas songs, but this is a truly sad one. I think, “I’ll be home for Christmas,” is as melancholy as you get- but leave it to Joni Mitchell to bum you out, even on Christmas. 
Christmas does this to us doesn’t it? Ever year we anticipate its coming, because every December we begin to miss family, friends and old relationships more than we did the month before. For some of us Christmas is the best time of year...
I suspect for others.... Christmas is the least hopeful day in the whole calendar. 
Right now those people are probably listening to Joni Mitchell.
Today I remember those people for whom Christmas is not a joyful holiday. For those who find that one day a year one too many.
“I wish I had a river to so long i could teach my feet to fly...”

2 comments: