Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Atheist and the Christian

Through a series of unique events, I've become friends with an active atheist- meaning someone who is aggressive and forthcoming about their atheism. Since I met this person a few days ago now, we've had some interesting conversations about everything from: the problem of pain, the progression of science, John Paul Sartre, Europe's declining religious population, etc etc...
I feel very blessed that both us know the other one isn't trying to convert the other: even though somehow talking about God is much more associated with conversion than talking about atheism. Our conversations are actually rather funny, because ever other line of our chat is making sure we've not just offended the other by what we've just said. I think we're surprising one another with our tolerance (well, he tolerates me, not sure about other spiritual people...). I had the feeling today, "wow, I'm a real adult!". I feel officially adopted into England now that I have my first friend who read Dawkins, and casually quotes Nietzsche.The craziest part? This guy thinks Christians are judgemental, hypocritical, hateful people -with a possible two or three acceptions. He thinks the Jesus who died for me (and in my mind, for him) is a fake. His sacrifice means nothing to him. He is not grateful for this life (except to the god of chance) or for the Creator of it. He probably thinks I'm a naive, easily deceived simpleton with more than just a touch of ignorance... yet, knowing all these things, something in my soul wants good for him. And this, I suppose, is why...
The following is an excerpt from Rob Bell's NOOMA video: Breath

"Have you ever thought about God’s name? 
Have you ever thought about God’s name being anything different than just a name? 
“Moses says to God, ‘What is your name?’ And God responds, 
‘Moses, you tell them the LORD sent you.’ Now this name, LORD, 
if you’re reading it in an English translation of the Bible, 
the name is spelled capital L, capital O, capital R, capital D. 
The name appears in the Bible over 6,000 times. 
But it wasn’t originally written in the English language, 
it was written in the Hebrew language. And in Hebrew the name is essentially four letters. 
We would say Y, H, V, H. But in Hebrew, the letters are pronounced: ‘Yod, Heh, Vav, Heh.’” 


vayomer od elohim elmoshe ko tomar elbenei yisrael YHVH elohei avoteikhem elohei avraham elohei yitskhak velohei yaakov shelakhani aleikhem zeshemi leolam veze zikhri ledor dor 
(Transliterated Hebrew)


"God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers – the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob – has sent me to you.’” 








“Some pronounce the name ‘Yahweh’ or ‘Yahveh,’ although in many 
traditions the name isn’t even pronounced, because it’s considered so sacred, 
so mysterious, so holy. In fact, the ancient rabbis believed that these letters 
actually functioned kind of as vowels in the Hebrew language. 

They believed that they were kind of breathing sounds and that ultimately the name is simply unpronounceable because the letters together are essentially the sound of breathing.


Yod, Heh, Vav, Heh. Is the name of God the sound of breathing?” 


He goes on to say that you could be sitting in front of someone who is saying, 

"There
is
no
God"

and all you can hear is...
"Yod
heh
vav
heh"

The name of God.

It was during our last conversation that I remembered this video...
All I hear when this Guy speaks is the name of God, reminding me to have faith. 
I hope you recognize the spirit of God in your own lungs today.

No comments:

Post a Comment