Friday, October 15, 2010

Hosanna




It’s Thursday morning and I’m wiped! Working at school is exciting but tiring, especially now, in the beginning. They’re so many things to learn: schedules, names, lessons, etc. I love some of the unique names the kids have: Tahleel, Al-Aqmar, Abdulrahmen, Jamanah... They’re hard to remember, but a nice break from ‘Brittany, ‘Ashley’ and ‘Ryan.’
Yesterday, Tim Foley, the guy who set up our year here, came to visit from Northern Ireland. We had a great time talking about past teams, the ins and outs of conflict resolution in Ireland and England, and what our team retreat could looks like; possibly in an Irish monestary. We spent the rest of the night feasting and laughing with our other immersion partners here.  
One question I’ve learned to start asking myself everyday is: where was God in all this? 
It’s a question of presence; Was God present in the joyous moments? How about in the mundane ones? 
It’s a question about direction. Are these arbitrary experiences? Or, is there significance and direction? Are these trials forming the larger story of my life? Am I part of an even bigger story... a story that started with God speaking life into creation, and goes out forever into the void?
reverberating endlessly into the ocean of Gods love...
Usually my moments with God come when I am quiet; that’s when I realize He’s always been with me. Sometimes it feels like I'm socializing all night at a loud party, and it’s only at the end of the evening when I'm picking up the trash and turning off the lights, that I realize someone has been waiting around all night just hoping to talk to me. They’ve been lingering in the corner for hours and I never realized they were there, until literally everyone else has gone home. 
Why does it always work like that with me? Why can’t I walk into every room knowing God is already present in it?
It’s reminds me of a song my youth leader wrote, “Oh God let everything you are fill this room I’m in.” 
So every night I’ve been asking myself this question, where were you today God? 
I know I could give some goofy mysterious answer like, “where wasn’t He? He’s everywhere and we just need to realize it, ooooooo.... did I just blow my own mind???” But I don’t think that actually means anything to me. I want to look at His meticulous handiwork... I want to thank Him for the small-specific ways He reaches into my heart makes it new. This kind of thinking brings with it lots of responsibility; I need to be the attentive one, and then it’s my job to multiply His blessings and be a blessing to others. 
(Found here)
“heal my heart and make it clean! Open up my eyes to the things unseen. Show me how to love, like you have loved me...hosanna!” -Hillsong United

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog Leigh! I know the song....Let everything you are...fill this room I'm in... it is a powerful thought, to experience God in every part of your life... I know this year will be one of reflection and service and I am grateful that you have the opportunity to experience both! I love you! xo mom

    ReplyDelete