Thursday, October 7, 2010

God Bless the teachers!

Hi Bloggers, 

I realized a few days ago I haven't really kept you up to date with our long term job as teaching assistants at a local primary school (Lidget Green). We've been at LG for 2 weeks now. We work Mondays, Tuesday and Wednesdays. This week and last week, we have been rotating between different years to see which one we might like to stick with for the whole year. First we were in year 2, then year 4, 6 and reception (preschool). Each have them have been really fun, challenging and educational. The kids are so cute! Something like 90% of the children at LG are Asian (Pakistani, Indian, Bangledeshi, etc...), and for most English is their second language. 
The staff is very nice and excited to have us there. It's been really fun being an american there as well. Marie and I have gotten lots of questions about the states and if we happen to know Miley Cyrus. Im not sure why, but Lady Gaga is also a big hit with the younger kids. Last week, while spending the day with year 4, the groups were supposed to be writing a paper about the lorry (truck) explosion in York, instead, they wrote all about Lady Gaga! Marie gets lots of "Wizard of Oz" references, being from Kansas. Luckily most of the people here have heard of Florida, so they have lost of questions about the sun, beach, CSI Miami and Disney World. 
Right now Im not sure what year I'd like to work with... hoping year 5 will click tomorrow. One thing is for sure, I have a deeper respect for all teachers! Reviewing all of this early school material reminds me how much knowledge teachers impart to us. Little things that come naturally now are only so because my teachers patiently drilled them into me. These brilliant women and men work their butts off, and genuinely love these kids like crazy! I don't know how they do it. I'd like to say their effort will inspire me to come back from this year wanting to be a teacher; I don't think that will happen. Nonetheless, I will forever be in awe of people who teach.
So this goes out to all those teachers.... cheers! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leigh! I bet your mom was THRILLED to read this posting. :) Glad you're having such a great experience so far. Thanks for posting on your blog, and keeping all of us stateside up-to-date! Praying for you and all those in Radical Journey. Blessings upon blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh,
    I am glad that you are getting to see what is involved in teaching. I posted on my profile page that to teach is to serve....and that is so true. What age group did you decied to work with for the rest of the year? I am going to send another package and hope that is does not cost more for you! Keep writing! Love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete