Thursday, August 26, 2010

Orientation- Week 1

So I've been in uptown, Chicago for less than a week now and already so much has happened. Although most of our travelling has been to random locations meant to help us use a map, some have been really interesting. Yesterday we got to see Millenium park, and at night we all went down to Navy Pier (amusment park on pier going out into Lake Michigan).  Today each team was sent to a different ethnic part of the city relating to their immersion location. So we ended up in "little India." It was an entire community of Pakistanis, Indians, Jews, and other Islamic countries. It was seriously like walking down the gaza strip! First we got AMAZING henna tatoos! They were only $15, and took about 10 mins. Totally worth it. We had the 20 yr old henna artist put "Team England" on our hands; only too late I relaized she couldn't spell in English. Instead I ended up with "Team Enjland."  I love it! After hennas, we got some Pakistani food. My teammates never had spicy indian food before, so it was pretty hillarious watching them guzzle down water and naan like they had 10 seconds before their heads would explode. Our waiter was very understanding. He's from Bangladesh and his name is Baboo - you can't make this stuff up.

Speaking of my teammates, I should make a formal introduction of them. Heck, how bout I introduce y'all to everyone here! 

Team England 
(Bethany & Marie)
(underneath the bean!)
Me! Nicknames: Lee-harvey-oswald, Harvey, Leigh-hi.
Bethany Biere - from Iowa. Not a menonite!! Loves pink. Nicknames: bb, bb gun, pink.
Marie Unruh - Spent a year living in Aukland New Zealand. GREAT photographer! Nickname: Peabody

Team China
Mark & Lisa - Only married couple here. Canadian. Not sure what they're all aboot. Nickname: Sour patch kids.
Nate Schlabach - Laid back sports fan from Ohio. One of the nicest people I've ever met. Nickname: Sweater.
Nate Kelly - Stuffed 23 marshmellows in his mouth and licked Karsten's foot on a dare. Nicknames: Spade, Ace of Spades, Ace of Cakes, Duff.

Team Bolivia (last because they lose)
Issac Shue - Giver of nicknames. 6'7" LIVES to tease Bethany. Also not a bad artist...
JD Nifziger - My Navy pier buddy. 18. Has giant-red-headphones on all the time. Nicknames: Joel (actual name).
Karsten Hess - Quiet, kind, and had his foot licked by Nate. Brave dude. Nicknames: Hans, cartoon Karsten.
Gloria Showalter - The only girl on team Bolivia. God help her... Nickname: Wlater, Walt, Disney.
Jacob Putnam - A native Chicago-an. Listens to REALLY loud music. Nicknames: Randy.

The're a great/weird group of people. Bringing you more pictures soon. Most stolen from friends blogs. Todays pictures are courtesy of Marie.

Goodnight folks.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful group of people and lots of fun! I love the henna tattoos too! I thought I saw that the word England was misspelled in one of the pictures...you know me and spelling...lol. Chicago is an amazing city and I hope you all have a chance to experience all it has to offer. This is a great way for you to get to know each other before you head across the pond to be salt and light...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, aunt ellen? lol, my mom told me you left a comment, but next time you should include your name! i'm loving chicago...

    ReplyDelete