Monday, June 13, 2011

Ever wonder what I do here?

So I realized recently I've never really given a detailed account of what I do here on a weekly basis. In the beginning I wanted this to be a sort of public diary about the daily things I'm doing. Instead, I've kind of used it as time to reflect on things vaguely and for that I am sorry. If you've been keeping up with me for a while you will know most of this I think, but for now here is a breakdown of what I do:



Monday - Wednesday




Working as a teachers assistant at a Primary School in our neighborhood. The school is 95% Pakistani Muslims, with some students speaking English as a second language.

Mon: Practice for the church choir we joined - I sang with them at the bereaved parents service I blogged a bout a few months ago.

Wed: A personal bible study with my 90 year old neighbor Betty.


Saleeka on our school trip to Whitby
Thursday
Christian
Photo by Marie Unruh
We run a "Kids Club" for local kids - mostly Slovakian kids who spend their time hanging around the streets.

Photo by: Marie Unruh

Spending time with elderly people at Great Horton UMC - playing games and serving tea.


Friday/ Saturday
Our free days to get involved in something that interests us. We've mostly used these days to get to know Bradford, visit with friends and build relationships here. We've also done other kinds of youth events on these days around West Yorkshire.




Sundays
We spend most of our day attending churches, including the 2 we are connected to here (St. Wilfrid's Anglican & Great Horton UMC)


If you asked me what I've enjoyed the most during my time here I don't know if I could pin point one thing; EVERYTHING has been rewarding. I think the greatest challenge, at the same time the greatest reward, has been working with children. I NEVER desired teaching before, but now I can see why there are so many dedicated teachers out there. Kids are amazing! They are always surprising me. Especially the kids at Lidget Green - they are growing up in so much tension. Can you imagine speaking english all day long, and learnng in a setting completely different to your culture and then going home and speaking an entirely different language? It blows me away the reposinbility these kids have to take on. A lot of the children at our school are the only english speakers in their family, so they are constantly having to be a translator for their parents. For me, working with Muslim children has been the greatest insight into Islam. Everyday after school they go to Madrasa (Islamic school) to learn the Qur'an. Then, the next day they come to school and tell me what they've learned. They understand things so simply... It makes me realize how cluttered I've made my life, and my faith. True, not questioing what you're taught is not always a good thing... but there is somthing to say for living from an orientation of faith rather than doubt.

I will miss this routine more than I can convey to you here...

5 comments:

  1. oh, thanks for laying it all out! i have been wondering this whole time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible journey Leigh... where is the rest of the last sentence??? Am I missing something??? mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing experience you've had, Leigh! We're looking forward to hearing much more about it when you come home! Enjoy your time and savor each moment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about your days. The ordinary moments sound so inspirational.. You obviously have learned and taught a whole lot in your year there.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Barbara Driscoll

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait...so what is it that you do here again???

    ReplyDelete