Saturday, March 12, 2011

Destiny

Today something strange happened.

I looked down at my palm and realized it has a new line! I knew eventually new wrinkles would form, but this is a whole new line! 


Down my entire hand. 


It's only on my right pam, but you can see it forming on the other one. When I noticed this it brought an old memory to mind. On our third day in England we went to a meeting of Muslim/Christians to plan a joint youth event. We met two 20-30 something Muslim girls there, who we stayed up all night talking to about every possible subject you can imagine. (I wrote about this meeting in an old blog.) That night,one of the women, Saj, told me in Islam there is a belief about your destiny, which in Arabic they call Qada wa qadar. Muslims believe that Allah knows our fate, and yet we have the free will to make our own choices. The exciting part is some choices change our fate forever. According to Saj our destinies may seem unchangeable, but like the line in our hands they can change. She claims, after a serious period of health problems when she rediscovered her faith, the lines in her hand LITERALLY changed. 


Has this year altered my destiny? 


I'd like to think so. Because the truth is, this work I'm doing, these kids... I am so in love with this place and the people we have met here. What ever my life would have been without this year, it never will be. I have changed my Qada wa qadar, the lines in my hands, and my heart forever. 


4 comments:

  1. You have touched their lives as well Leigh! The children are beautiful!
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The words that come to me is; Thank you. Thank you for being you right here, at this time, this year.

    "...Know(no?)I'm out of coffe, know I'm out of crying, know I'm out of wiskey, know I'm out of vine. No, no, no, no, no, nothing else will do, I gotta have you. I gotta have you..."

    -The Weepies-

    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is -no- right? hehe:)

    Love from the Norwegian girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GOD-inspiring moment for you. and for me, now that you have shared it. Your life will never be the same and that is how He intended this journey of yours. We are so proud of you.

    Love, Barbara Driscoll

    ReplyDelete